Welcome to Defold
Defold is made to be a professional game production platform to help game teams design, build and ship games. It is not an all-encompassing solution for everything. There are no ready made complex components available. Instead, we believe the job of Defold is to empower game teams with simple, powerful collaborative tools. This means that you often have to do a bit more work yourself, but it also means that the path to your goal is clearer.
If you are a novice or an experienced developer, some of our concepts may take a while to completely grasp. We encourage you to experiment, follow tutorials, read our manuals and API documentation, and to be active on the forum to learn from other users and follow the development of Defold.
Where to start?
There is quite a lot of documentation available, in the form of manuals, API reference documentation, examples and tutorials. If you don’t know where to start, here are some pointers:
- The editor
- The editor overview is a gives a good introduction to the editor and will help you get around, use the visual tools and write code. If you are familiar with 3D modelling programs and programming IDEs, there should be few surprises, but there are always things that will be different from your favorite piece of software.
- Simple examples
- Our collection of simple examples is a good introduction to how to put pieces together into something that works. You will find minimal examples of how to do a wide variety of common things in Defold.
- The Lua language
- Game tutorials
- Learning by building games is something we encourage. We have a variety of tutorials available at different skill and complexity level. Following one or two of them may help you understand better how to put things together in Defold.
- The building blocks of Defold
- Defold games are build by composing simple blocks, some of which seem familiar if you have used other engines. There are some architectural design decisions that make the blocks of Defold special and it takes a little while to be comfortable working with them. Our building blocks manual is a good start if yuo feel you need to understand thoroughly how it’s working.
- The forum
- Learning from others is often the best way to learn. Our community is very friendly and knows a lot about building games in general and Defold in particular. If you ever get stuck, don’t hesitate but head over to the forum for help!
Remember that no matter what path you take to learning Defold, you can always come back here for in-depth explanations of the various features and concepts Defold provides. And don’t hesitate to point out things that you do not understand or think are wrong. These pages are for you and we want to make them as good as possible.
We hope that you will enjoy creating your next awesome game in Defold!